POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kingdom (252k jpeg) : Re: Kingdom (252k jpeg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:09:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kingdom (252k jpeg)
From: Jim Charter
Date: 2 Jul 2008 00:20:04
Message: <486b01f4$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First off... sorry, it's not 3D. What you see before you is an on-going
> project of mine. The goal is to render a field in which endless pictures
> can be seen. The pictures are made up by your own mind. Therefore, some
> effort is required to view this image. Not too much effort though! It's
> best to just gaze calmly, to see what your mind produces.
>
> The purpose for this? To peer into the subconscious. I believe the
> subconscious mind is a very creative thing, and that this sort of
> meditation can help tap into it.
>
> The effect is achieved by applying a repeat warp (with horizontal
> mirroring) to a pattern. That pattern is skewed in the x+z direction to
> vary the effect across a distance, while still maintaining some
> semblance of symmetry at a local level. That pattern is then copied and
> added to itself in a function, with different sizes and translations for
> each instance. A little bit of pigment_mapping is then applied to
> achieve an aesthetic quality. It is then all placed onto a z-facing
> plane. It's based (somewhat) on the Rorschach ink blot test.
>
> I'm interested to know what pictures you guys see in this. I wonder if
> you will see something here, even if you're not the type to normally see
> faces in trees and such.
>
> Sam

It is a compelling image in it's own right.

The idea of course has lots of pedigree
Leonardo, famously, but I expect you knew that:
http://www.mirabilissimeinvenzioni.com/ing_treatiseonpainting_ing.html

I am also reminded of, I think it was Darren New, posting once about
research into how music stimulates common brain regions in diverse human
groups.

I had a group of brain researchers in my taxi one night and I mentioned
that research/book to them.  I mentioned to one how it called up the
question for me of how someone even recognizes that something is music.
Surely it was cultural and context-driven.  His reponse was [to the best
I can recall] that certain research indicated that humans would reacted
to repeated fragments of sounds in the same way as to music.  But I
didn't get much detail, the conversation took that turn just as he was
getting out of the car.

And, now that I am going, wasn't the virus in Snow Crash and visual pattern?